IRIE is a research and educational innovation institute in the fields of education and training. The 2015 year was created, through the 11458 Executive Agreement of 28 in July, in the context of the transformation of the Institute of Education Sciences (ICE) of the UIB into a research institute. It is governed by the 11850 Legislative Agreement, on May 12, which approves and announces its regulation, which, in article 5.2, establishes as its purpose:
- To promote and coordinate, within the own field of the institute, educational research, especially that related to the needs and problems of the education and training system, in order to improve their knowledge and improve the quality of the practice in Centers and other entities and institutions that carry out educational and training functions.
- Recognize and disseminate, in the field of the scientific community and the educational system and in all sectors related to education and training (both formal and non-formal), the research work of the educational research groups of the Institute .
- Provide means and resources to support the research groups that make up IRIE to develop educational research.
- Technically advising the Ministry of Education and the University (CEU) and professionals from all sectors related to education and training in organizational, methodological and curricular innovation, and in all the subjects related to the lines of research of the groups of IRIE.
- Establish knowledge transfer mechanisms, results from investigations by IRIE research groups, educational and educational institutions and institutions that contribute to the introduction of innovative changes in teaching practice to improve the results and educational processes of educational institutions, curricular, organizational or functional.
- Participate in activities that lead to the obtaining of UIB's own degrees and the doctoral degree, as well as in continuous training activities related to the research areas of the Institute aimed at education professionals.
- Relate and coordinate the activity in research with that of similar entities, state and foreign, and participate in research projects and activities programs jointly.
- Promote the capture of public and private resources, in order to obtain complementary means to the possible contributions of the participating institutions.
- Any other activity that has as a fundamental purpose the fulfillment of the founding objectives of the IRIE, its regulations and the statutes of the University of the Balearic Islands, as well as collaborate in the exercise of its own competencies with the bodies of a general nature of the University, its institutes, faculties, schools and departments, and also with the CEU.
IRIE is structured around four research areas:
- Didactics and school organization, an area formed by a total of three consolidated research groups: 4MAC - Tourist and educational research; Education and Citizenship; and Childhood, Technology, Education and Diversity Group.
- Specific didactics, which includes four consolidated research groups: Science, Technology and Society. Didactics of science; Studies of culture, society, communication and contemporary thinking; Research group on languages, literatures and learning; and Research group in physical activity and sports sciences.
- Social, evolutionary and educational Psychology, formed by two consolidated research groups: Research in Development, Education and Language; and Gender Studies.
Theory and history of education, an area formed by two consolidated research groups: Research Group and Educational and Social Training; and Study Group on History of Education.
Apart from the consolidated research groups that are distributed in these four areas, IRIE also includes a series of associated research groups - emerging groups that are undergoing consolidation and that depend on the consolidated groups - and, also, by researchers and individual researchers. To all these groups, IRIE offers a Research Advisory Service (SAR).
Likewise, the IRIE gives special importance to the transfer of knowledge and to the direct work with the educational centers and the associations or organizations related to the field of the education in the Balearic Islands. It offers both centers and teachers a series of training activities, whose aim is continuous innovation within the framework of the educational system.
Mission and Vision
The declaration of the mission of the IRIE aims to explain the essence of the institution for its members and also for society. In this sense, the mission collects the reason for the being of the institution and the principles that must guide its members.
The vision presents the "ideal" situation that it intends to achieve through the set of objectives and strategies that are incorporated. It reflects the manifestation of the success of the institution.
Our purpose is to have a consensual vision of the Institute and a plan to implement and achieve this vision. Through strategic planning and a continuous evaluation of the planned and developed actions, we can regularly renew the vision and reformulate the strategies necessary to carry it out.
In a manner consistent with this purpose, the mission and vision of IRIE is shown below.
IRIE is dedicated to scientific research and innovation in the fields of education and training, provides development services (knowledge transfer) and also conducts third-cycle teaching activities, postgraduate courses and training courses at short duration in these same areas. One of the main objectives is the promotion of mechanisms for the improvement of educational quality and excellence.
The multiannual plan proposal sets out the strategic or action axes, understood as those activities that are considered key to the accomplishment of the mission. The strategic objectives, structured according to the axes, are the aims that must be achieved in order to reach the future vision of the institution, in relation to research and educational innovation. Finally, the strategic objectives are defined in operational objectives, which are the general actions aimed at achieving each one of the strategic objectives.
In accordance with its mission, IRIE aspires to become a center of reference in the field of educational research and innovation, at the regional, state and international level. Likewise, it is intended that the Institute be recognized as a center of reference in terms of teaching, training and research potential.
The Institute aspires to respond in a timely manner to the demands of the environment and act as the driving force behind the generation, promotion and dissemination of knowledge. At the same time, from deep roots in the culture of our University and from the university and non-university education system of the Balearic Islands, it works to foster innovation and the rapid and efficient translation of results to the institutions educational, with special impact in practice.
The aim of the Institute is to combine quality research, which makes possible a valuable academic contribution, with a transfer of knowledge that ensures a good impact on the social transformation and, more specifically, on the educational system. To do this, it will have to link research, training and innovation with the educational task and, thus, make it possible for the educational community to form a reflective, dynamic and creative community, attentive to the new needs that arise, committed to the improvement of the teaching and learning processes, resolved to question the educational proposals of the system and to make decisions about their relevance for the learning and development of the community itself.
In order to lead proposals in the field of research, education training and innovation, it is necessary to have staff with adequate academic training and advanced technological resources.