The Governing Council shall comprise the Vice-chancellor and four representatives from the UIB; the regional minister for Education and Universities and three representatives from the Department of Education and Universities (CEU); one representative from the regional government department with specific competence for research and development and the IRIE director, who acts in an advisory role.
The duties of the Governing Council are:
- Ratifying the agreements the IRIE may sign
- Approving the annual IRIE budget and accounts, presented by the director
- Approving the objectives and annual programme of activities at the Institute
- Approving the annual report
- Proposing to the Vice-chancellor of the UIB the appointment and substitution of the director, deputy director and secretary, in accordance with current regulations
- Ratifying the criteria regarding the dynamics of constituting research areas and groups, and awarding the status of IRIE researcher
- Approving the Institutes regulations, in accordance with the Institute Council proposal
- Approving the registration or termination of researchers and research groups proposed by the Institute Council. To do this, an absolute majority is required on the Governing Council
- Periodically assessing the IRIE's research and teaching activities with the support of external audits and putting the recommendations deemed appropriate into practice
- Those duties that the University statute allocates to the university institutes council, where applicable
- All other issues or incidents that affect the operation of the IRIE.