The Governing Council will consist of the Rector and four representatives of the UIB; the Minister of Education and University and three representatives of the Ministry of Education and University (CEU); a representative of the Ministry with specific competence in research and development and the director of the IRIE, who acts as secretary, with voice but without vote.
The functions of the Governing Board are:
- Ratify the agreements that IRIE can sign
- To approve the budget and the annual accounts of the IRIE, presented at the proposal of the director
- To approve the objectives and the annual program of activities of the Institute
- Approve the annual report
- Propose to the Rector of the UIB the appointment and replacement of the director, the deputy director, and the secretary / secretary, in accordance with the regulations in force
- To ratify the criteria regarding the constitution dynamics of the research areas and groups and the recognition of the personal status of the IRIE researcher
- To approve the regulations of the Institute, in accordance with the proposal of the Council of the Institute
- Approve the assignment or dismissal of researchers proposed by the Institute Board. For this, the absolute majority of the Governing Board is required
- Periodically evaluate IRIE's research and teaching activities, through the help of external audits, and apply its recommendations when deemed appropriate.
- Those duties that the University statute allocates to the university institutes council, where applicable
- All other issues and incidents that affect the operation of the IRIE.